The word “Yom” is an Hebrew word which means “Day“. Kippur means “Atonement“. Merging both words, we then have Day of Atonement.
Yom Kippur is a Jewish day to atone for misdeeds and become cleansed and purified from them. On this day, the Jews observe this feast with a long fast and intensive prayer but our focus today is how the atonement is being made.
ELEMENTS OF THE ATONEMENT
- An High Priest: He is the one that makes all the necessary procedures for the atonement.
- A Bull and a Ram: for the covering of the priest’s sins and that of his family.
- Two Goats : one for the Israelites’ sin offering and the other as a scape goat which will be sent to the wilderness.
- One Ram: for the Israelites’ atonement as well.
- Incense: the smoky perfume that covers the mercy seat.
- Aaron will first offer for himself and his family a bull and a ram offering which is for the cleansing of sins. Leviticus 16:11
- He shall then take the incense with him (incense is like a pounded coil, which when put into fire gives a smoky perfume) to the mercy seat so that he can make atonement for his sin. The smoke is going to cover the whole house that when God looks down from the mercy seat He will only see a cloud and an inviting aroma and this will allow Aaron to offer sacrifices for his own sin and that of his family. Leviticus 16:12
- After doing this, he will go out start the process of the Israelites’ atonement. He will start by casting a lot and killing the one that the lot falls on for the sacrifice and send the other one to the wilderness of Azazel. Leviticus 16:8-10,14
- He shall sprinkle the blood of the slain goat for the remission of the people’s sin and shall burn the rest of the animal whose blood was taken off. Leviticus 16:15
JESUS IN THE PICTURE
- Jesus is the High Priest, He’s Holy and blameless, He doesn’t need to make any sacrifice for Himself before He can have access to the Father.
Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people’s: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
- The incense was grounded, beaten and battered and this represents how Jesus was beaten, battered, shattered and battered at the cross so as to grant us access to the Father.
- Jesus is also the slain goat that covers the Israelites’ sin but He is still alive.
- Jesus is the scape goat that was sent to the wilderness but He went to the wilderness (grave) and returned to give us the gift of righteousness.
Can you see how wise our God is? Jesus remains the only way out of life’s troubles and outside of Him, nobody can be saved.
Are you saved? Type “Thank you Jesus for saving me”. And if you’re not saved, then confess Him as your Lord and Savior.
Are you enlighten by this article? Type I’M BLESSED